History

Facts and Key Statistics

 

The Orange County Sanitation District (OCSD) is a public agency that provides wastewater collection, treatment, and disposal services for approximately 2.6  million people in central and northwest Orange County.  OCSD is a special district that is governed by a Board of Directors consisting of 25 board members appointed from 20 cities, two sanitary districts, two water districts and one representative from the Orange County Board of Supervisors.  OCSD has two operating facilities that treat wastewater from residential, commercial and industrial sources.

 

 

Banner 4

Historical Overview - Timeline
1920 - 1930 - 1940 - 1950 - 1960 - 1970 - 1980 - 1990 - 2000
Click on a decade to view OCSD's history.


1921
Orange County Joint Outfall Sewer (JOS) is formed. Santa Ana and Anaheim agree to construct an outfall extending into the Pacific Ocean.

1923
Construction starts on Ocean Outfall.

1924
First sewage from member cities is discharged into system.

1927
Outfall is extended to a distance of 3000 feet. New screening plant and pumping station is constructed.

1920.jpg

 



1936
Extensive repairs are made on Ocean Outfall due to a break in the pipe caused by the dragging of an anchor from a fishing barge.

1938
Severe flood destroys the screening plant.

1930.jpg

 



1941
First units of Primary Treatment Plant are constructed.

1946
Board of Supervisors orders Orange County Sewerage Survey Report. Report becomes basis for formation of original sanitation district.

1947
Districts Nos. 1, 5 and 6 formally organize under the Sanitary District Act of 1923.

1948
Districts Nos. 2, 3, 7 and 11 formally organize under the Sanitary District Act of 1923.

1949
Individual bond issues are approved to fund joint operations.

1940.jpg

 


 

 


1952
Construction begins on new 7,000-foot, 78" diameter outfall.

1954
County Sanitation District of Orange County begin official operations; takes over duties of JOS.

1959
Headworks No. 1 begins operating at Plant No. 1.

1950.jpg

 



1962
Studies begin for new $10 million, 5-mile long ocean outfall.



1970
District formally establishes Industrial Waste Division.

1971
New 5-mile long 120" diameter, $10 million outfall is operational.

1974
New diversion structure comes on-line at Plant No. 1.

1978
$32 million Activated Sludge facility begins operating at Reclamation Plant No. 1.



1983
Oxygen Activated Sludge plant and solids handling facility begin operating at Plant No. 2.

1985
District begins operating under 5-year Ocean Discharge Permit Waiver.

1987
Construction begins on new 480 MGD Ocean Outfall Booster Station.

1989
60 MGD primary treatment expansion begins at Plant No. 1. Headworks No. 2 begins operating at Plant No. 1. 30-year Master Plan approved. Ocean Outfall Booster Station is completed. 30-year Master Plan "2020 VISION" is approved.



1990
Construction begins on new Environmental Sciences Laboratory and Central Power Generation facilities.

1991
New Administration building is completed. 100 percent recycling of biosolids is achieved. Construction begins on new Operations Center.

1992
60 MGD primary treatment expansion is completed.

1993
Central Power Generation facilities are dedicated. District wins first place EPA Operations and Maintenance Excellence Award.

1994
District's fixed assets (at cost) top $1 billion. District celebrates 40-year anniversary.

1998
CSDOC becomes a consolidated agency, changing its name to OCSD to streamline its governance structure.

1999
OCSD adopts a resolution to accept urban runoff and initiates the Urban Runoff Program.


2002
OCSD completes the comprehensive odor control master plan.

 
2002
OCSD receives the federal operating permit (Title V) for both its plants.

2002
After a 13-12 Board decision, OCSD begins to ramp up existing secondary treatment process.

2002
Final effluent disinfection begins

2003
OCSD becomes the first agency in the nation to be certified for its biosolids environmental management plan.

2004
OCSD and OCWD begins construction on the Groundwater Replenishment System.

2008
Ground Water Replenishment System (GWR) Commissioned

2009
Steve Anderson Lift Station begins operation

2014
OCSD celebrates its 60th Anniversary

2015
OCSD ceases disinfection of its ocean discharge on March 17, 2015. OCSD continues to monitor the local beaches and ocean to further ensure the quality of our coastal waters hasn't changed.

2015 
Health and Safety Code Section 4730.65 amended to transfer Board representation from the City of Yorba Linda to Yorba Linda Water District due to local sewers being transferred from the City to the Water District.

2016
OCSD transferred 176 miles of local sewers serving parts of Tustin and the unincorporated area of Orange County to East Orange County Water District.

2016
Governor Brown signs Assembly Bill (AB 2022) into law, allowing Californians to conveniently taste-test recycled water in their communities.